This cover from Frankie magazine’s Spaces Volume 2, became the basis for a writing exercise during one of my last lessons with Year 12. These were the instructions I distributed with the image:
Area of Study: Discovery
You have been commissioned to write for a new anthology titled Spaces.
Compose a piece of imaginative writing that explores an important aspect of discovery for this anthology.
We first participated in some pre-writing exercises:
- write a list of words that come to you after viewing this image
- each student reads one word from their list
- student’s nominate a words, or patterns of words, that stood out
- write down any interesting words you heard
- free writing on the topic ‘I remember’ for 10 minutes
- students volunteer to share their memories by reading aloud – thank, clap and celebrate every contribution
- choose one phrase from your writing to ‘donate’ to the class
- students write these on the board – spend some time reading and celebrating these gifts
- in the next lesson, students wrote their composition in exam like conditions using ideas from these activities
- share and celebrate!